Washington State requires schools to conduct annual vision & hearing screenings for all students in grades K-3, 5 & 7. In the past, schools conducted vision screening for distance vision only. Washington State has changed the requirements to include both near and distance vision screenings. For this reason, we have purchased Plusoptix S12C vision screener that screens for both near and distance vision. It is extremely fast, efficient, and provides accurate results.
If your child is in one of the grades scheduled for screenings and you do not want your child to participate, you may opt out for all or part of the screenings. Please send Ann Marie Thompson an email indicating your child’s name, homeroom and if you wish to opt out of vision and/or hearing. Your request must be received by Thursday, January 17, 2019.
Students in grades Pre-K, 4, 6 or 8th are not scheduled to participate in this year’s screenings. If you have concerns about their vision and/or hearing, you may send Ann Marie Thompson an email with your concerns and request that your child be included in the one or both screenings. Your request must be received by Thursday, January 17, 2019.
Parent Notification of Results:
- With the PlusOptix, it indicates a result of “Pass” or “Refer”. For any child who receives a “Refer” result, the parent will receive an email indicating that further evaluation is warranted.
- For the hearing screening, any child who does not meet the acceptable screening standards will be automatically be re-screened within 6 weeks for hearing. If after re-screening, any results still have not met the acceptable standards—then parents will receive an email with these specific results.
- Normal vision and/or hearing results will not result in any parent notification.
Our vision screening date is Tuesday, February, 5th. If your child wears glasses or contact lens, please make sure that they have them for their vision screening on Tuesday, February 5th.
Our hearing screening dates are follows:
- Monday, February 4: KA, KB, 2A, & 5B
- Tuesday, February 5: all 7th graders, 5A & 2B
- Thursday, February 7: 3A, 3B, 1A & 1B
All hearing screenings are conducted by parents so we’re looking for parents to volunteer to help out. If you are interested in volunteering please use this link to Signup Genius or e-mail our health screening volunteer coordinator, Brianna Bennitt.
If you have any questions about the health screening, please e-mail Ann Marie Thompson.