This year we invite the students to Let their imaginations soar! Our students will have the opportunity to meet, see, chat with and learn from several authors. We are hosting three different authors in person, one wonderful storyteller, and two authors by Skype.
- Paul Owen Lewis is a local Northwest author and artist, who lives in the San Juan islands. His newest book, MotoMice, is a fun story about mice on motorcycles! The book talks about the biking culture and its community. He also is well known for Storm Boy and Davy’s Dream, two books based on Northwest mythology and oral histories. His artwork is beautiful and carries the reader thru the pages.
- Diane Odegard Gockel is an alumni parent of Sacred Heart and is a former high school teacher. She is a passionate animal activist, who rescues, fosters and adopts homeless animals. She will show pictures from her rescue farm and share her animal stories. Her series, Animal Rescue, is a favorite of our primary students.
- Alleyoop!, also known as Al Hirsch, is a storyteller, educator, performer and all around favorite of our students! He will have the students laughing, singing and dancing! Check out the schedule and drop in for one of his “talks” you will thoroughly enjoy him and our students’ reactions!
- Leonard W. Lambert is a graduate of the University of Washington and is a veteran U.S. Coast Guard. He has written a practical manual for merchant marines and for children he has written, The Fish Who Could Fly, A Tale of Discovery. His children’s book is an uplifting story about a fish who believes he can fly. The book contains many facts about marine life as well as a positive message about believing in yourself.
- Bruce Hale will be Skyping with our students. He is an author, speaker and performer. He has written and/or illustrated 40 books for children. Some of his most popular series are Monstertown Mysteries, Chet Gecko, School for S.P.I.E.S. and many other books.
- Michael Northrop will be Skyping with our middle schoolers. He is a New Yorker and author of eleven novels for children. His Tomb Quest. Book 1: Book of the Dead spent several weeks on the N,Y, Times bestseller list and the Los Angeles Public Library listed it as a book of the year. He has also written three young adult novels, each receiving accolades and has written several books for the middle school age group. Most recently he wrote Polaris, a scary adventure!
Please click on the authors’ names to visit their websites! We are looking forward to this year’s Young Author Convention and the opportunity for our students to meet these talented individuals.
Sacred Heart is pleased to offer the opportunity to pre-purchase books and cds from our visiting authors; Diane Odegard Gockel, Leonard W. Lambert, Paul Owen Lewis, and AlleyOop (Al Hirsch). *We are also offering books from our two Skype authors Bruce Hale and Michael Northrop. These two authors’ books will also be available day of the event and by pre-order, by Island Books. The Bookstore would like to have some pre-sale numbers to best prepare for the day.