Goal: To assign students to roles that feature their unique talents and skills, in service of best storytelling, and of a respectful, collaborative ensemble process.
Guidelines: All students grades 4th and older who register for a Playmakers production as an actor will be assigned a role onstage, either in the ensemble or as a speaking part. These roles are distributed via an audition process, where students prepare and perform assigned material for the director. Currently, students in 4th grade registering as an actor for the spring musical are eligible only for the ensemble; students in 5th – 8th grade may also audition for a speaking role.
Consideration will be given to:
· Acting ability and unique skills, as assessed by the directors in auditions, callbacks, and previous productions.
· “Fit” for a specific role, in service of best storytelling, as assessed by the directors in auditions and callbacks.
· Personal character, professionalism, ability to work as part of a team, and commitment, as demonstrated in involvement with the program at large, in previous production processes, and in school.
· Adherence to Sacred Heart School’s Code of Conduct and Policies and Procedures Manual.
· Grade and tenure in program, solely as a tiebreaker between two students who are equally qualified to fill a role.